Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Personal 9/11 Story!


Where were you when the twin towers were hit people would ask on this day. I would always tell then I was in a class that I dislike and would always dislike for eternity. I was in math class, being taught math that I tried to make some sense. Sense that really made me pull my hair out. I remember after class that I heard from a fellow student that the Twin Towers got hit and fell. I really didn't believe them at first because when I was in high school I was always a tiny bit gullible and shy so I have written it off as a joke. Me shy? It's hard to believe. As I found out that more people were talking about it. I suddenly realize it did happen. I really did happen My government teacher turned on the TV as we went into my next class and what beheld me was a disaster, a sight of sheer horror as we see American Airlines Flight 11 and United flight 175 smash into both towers then towers falling and seeing people falling out of the buildings trying to escape . I was almost in tears that day! I couldn't believe that it was happen. I was always emotional but this hit hard. We got out of school around early that day. When I got home I saw what happen while I was on the bus. The Pentagon being hit by American Airlines Flight 77. Later I got word that United Flight 93 got hijack just over Ohio and the plain turned around and was headed towards the white house until it crashed near Shanksville Pennsylvania. My eyes were stuck on the TV for further developments for the rest of the day. Considering I did live about 100 miles from the first attacks of the day. For a brief moment you can see that people got out of their homes and went to their neighbors and asked if they were okay. This tragic event brought us together for a day then when reports came in that the attacks were part of the Taliban, which is a Muslim fundamentalist group, Islamophobia stuck the nation. I got the fear because of what happen. I also know that there were Muslims in those towers and Muslims that were on those planes, ones that didn't hijack four planes and try to strike fear in our hearts. There were also people of other faiths that died and It did bring us together for a brief moment but that moment was short lived when the hatred crept in. The very next day when I went to work I was told that the workers who were looking for supplies to help with their search and rescue. The store that I worked at supplied most of what they needed and I had a lot of people come in and support those workers and donated their purchases to those who were endlessly trying to rescue people from the wreckage. Things like filter masks and flashlights were really needed and I've never seen people donate things to places like this before. It was really touching!

9/11 will aways be a tragic day for the nation but I did bring people together and that is what I remember the most.

No comments: